May 4 before the election only one to state Bloomberg may not win due to voter anger...used my political art poster lampooning king Mike - media blacked out. My YouTube channel was removed. Google apologized. http://youtu.be/_Tz4eMcP2LU
The YouTube that said No to renewing SAIC CityTime.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Silencing voices

+I am an artist and these are my feelings....I would love to have a radio show with a funny intelligent partner to talk about the city and politics of all kinds...

As much as we say we are a democracy it seems the pressure is on to silence voices, it feels like corruption thrives with less transparency and accountability than ever.   People just shrug when you talk about politics and corruption as if it is a given.   



I stopped attending  community board 3 meetings in the East Village and that last conversation I had about community board 3 SLA 3 was about Webster Halls' bar (co-owned by a Webster Hall partner?) "Pour House" across the street which was able to get two full bars across from Webster Hall.   It all feels like an exercise in futility.   I am on record, in the minutes talking about too many bars and too many dorms before I stopped attending meetings.   

The community boards must be a democracy.  We need to know who are the people representing us and the community must know who they are, when the meetings are held and their must be accountability and of course that is true for all aspects of government.

Talk about a need for watch dogs groups and a higher authority and that is across the boards on all issues here in the city.

I think of that short story "In the Monkey House", "Harrison Bergeron"   where they have created a society where no one can have a moment to think, to be an individual, to be dynamic and are imprisoned whether they know it or not.    I read this book as a teenager and I still remember it.  KV you were right on.  Why am I fantasizing about a country home somewhere far far away from the city living....?